Visio Divina – “Divine Seeing” — is a spiritual practice that allows our seeing of an image or object to serve us in prayerful reflection. French artist Tissot’s small watercolor deserves a closer look.
Take 10 minutes with this activity, and consider having your journal close by for notes.
- Pause and take a deep breath. Relax your mind and try to set aside distractions. Invite God into this time of seeing.
- Take a long, loving look at this image. Where do your eyes rest today? What do you see?
- Where are you in this picture? Are you part of the gathered crowd, watching? What is going through your mind as you see this scene?
- There is much to see in this image. But listen closely. What do you hear?
- Engage all of your senses. What do you smell? What do you feel?
Pause and Ponder: The story of Jesus’ call is foundational for his ministry. Spend some time today recalling the scenes that have been part of your vocational story.